Tuesday, January 20, 2015

diy raw cough drops and cooked cough drops recipe



My youngest is sick with a cough and since she is only 18m old. she wont take much. She is the pickiest eater and wont take any medicine unless its in a bottle disguised as juice. So I had to think outside the box...candy!! yes she will always eat candy. So I made two different kinds of "candy" for her. The one on the right is raw! no cooking! and the other is made up of just honey and cinnamon. cooked. 

These are so simple to make, I made two for variety for her. Since I cant give her to many of the coconut oil ones because she will get diarrhea. So I made the other ones as well, and she will eat them or I pop then in a sippy or bottle for her. 

Its a super easy way for her to get her medicine and soothe her cough.
These are great for adults too!

Recipe for the RAW! honey coconut oil--

- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- squeezed lemon
- any desired herbs or medicine you prefer.
 - I used a tincture of Uva Ursi (kills bad bacteria) and another tincture from herbs 4kids called echinasea and astrologus (immune boosting herbs)
  **I put about 2 dropper full of each tincture

blend together with a hand blender until whipped get a small spoonful of cough drop and place them on parchment paper or in an ice cube tray and plop them in the freezer for 20 min.


Recipe for the cooked honey cough drops--

- 1 cup of honey
- squeezed lemon
- dash of cinnamon
- any desired herbs or medicine.
 I used a tincture of Uva Ursi (kills bad bacteria) and another tincture from herbs 4kids called echinasea and astrologus (immune boosting herbs)
-tbls of coconut oil

place all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. then reduce heat to a simmer for about 3 min.

get a spoon full of cough drops and place on parchment paper. repeat till mixture is gone. Place in freezer for 10 min.
I keep mine in the freezer or else it will turn back to a honey consistency. Since I don't want it to be like a hard candy for my 18 m old. it just melt in her mouth pretty quickly

Hope you guys enjoy it!
                                           -Kristel

No comments:

Post a Comment