Monday, January 19, 2015

Centrifugal vs. Masticating Juicers



My husband surprised me with a new Hurom juicer to start my 30 days of juicing, aka"30 before 30 juice cleanse"  Given that I'm starting my juice cleanse around my birthday instead of before my birthday, I'm calling it my  "30 turning 30 juice cleanse". 30 days of strictly juicing goodness to cleanse out my unhealthy 20's :)
 I even talked my sisters into doing it with me!  It's going to be so ah-ma-zing!

So what's so special about this juicer??



Juicers typically fall into 2 categories:

Centrifugal and Masticating

Centrifugal juicers are more commonplace and generally less expensive. They typically have an upright design where food is pushed into a spinning blade on its floor. The teeth shred the food into a pulp, and the centrifugal motion pulls the juice out of the pulp and through the mesh filter, where it is funneled out of the juicer via a spigot. So basically- it shreds the produce to pulp and then through centrifugal motion pulls the juice out. 

Masticating juicers squeeze and press the produce instead of shredding it, allowing for more juice to be dispensed and allowing you to juice things that centrifugal juicers typically can't handle such as leafy greens, wheatgrass, and parsley. Masticating juice lasts longer than centrifugal juice- which begins losing nutrients within after the first 20 minutes . They are also powerful enought to juice nuts! That's nuts! (lame pun intended). Masticating juicers are more expensive- however, given that you get more juice from your produce and have a wider variety of things to juice- they are (in my opinion) the better buy. 

I've always used a centrifugal juicer for my juicing needs. (I used the Jack LaLanne Juicer)
Until now.
My new Hurom Juicer is so powerful I can finally squeeze wheatgrass juice at home! And it's more quiet than my Jack LaLanne juicer- which sounds like a jet plane taking off.

So when my family saw this new quiet juicer (besides the "bones crushing" sound my boys said it makes) everyone had to test it out with me. It turned our family game of UNO into a family night of juicing instead!


So that begs the question- what juicer do you use/recommend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment